Sunday, June 7, 2009

The disintegration of a language



One of the things that has really been getting to me with technology is how it is impacting the youth of today's grammar (not that I am the best, there will be a lot of errors in the document most likely). The use of chatrooms, and text messaging has really been lowering the standards of most peoples use of grammar.  

When text messaging first started we had to use the phone pad on our cell phones to communicate so I could understand the use numbers and abbreviations to communicate, but technology has come along way since then. We now have full qwerty keyboards on our cell phones so there should be no excuse to take so many shortcuts anymore and grammar should be getting better. Of course, its not.  

I think as educators we need to address this issue anyway we can. The best approach I can think of is trying to incorporate the use of instant messaging, social networks, blogs, etc... in classroom settings and require proper grammar when they are being used in the academic setting. My hope would be that when students use them in their personal life, they carry over the "good" habits they have been using in school.

There is another article written on this same subject that is pretty interesting. I really liked his title, and agreed with a lot of what the author said. WTF's up with IM Gramar

No comments:

Post a Comment